Sunday, March 28, 2021

Blending Styles (Samer Hills, Art and, Aesthetics)


     If you have been reading this blog over the years or following me on Twitter for a long time you probably know by now how much of a 3D nerd I am and how much I love 3D modeling and computer graphics. You probably know by now that this is a topic I talk about often and how much I especially love to brag about my own 3D graphics, art style, and or other 3d/graphical-related work.


     Well, the time has come once again as I write yet another blog post about my cool 3D art style. This blog post will serve as a little preview of what to expect from my upcoming Samer Hills games. One of my biggest goals as a game developer has always been to develop my own unique graphical art style. A graphical style that is a distinctive feature to my games. One that does not look like anyone else's or attempts to replicate the style of a console. A graphical art style that is recognizable and as soon as someone sees it, would be able to tell that it's "A Samer Khatib game". After what feels like forever of development, I eventually finally achieved this "unique" graphical style that I have been wanting to create and ended up calling it the "3D Signature Samer Style" or "3DSSS" for short. This is the style that I will consistently use in all my future and upcoming Samer Hills branded games. I even wrote a post about it not too long ago actually. You can check it out here if interested: Signature Samer Style 

     
     Today, I want to talk about and showcase how I can take my newly found art style and effectively blend it with other art styles and or aesthetics. And, the "3DSSS" is designed to be versatile in the sense that it does just work and can blend together really well when mixed with any other style. Moody, atmospheric, horror, retro, bright, colorful, cartoony, etc. 



     For example, in my upcoming game "Samer Hills Toxic Turtle" (more info & Steam page for this game will be revealed later on) - We are going to go for a "Silent Hill" aesthetic and blend that in throughout that entire game. So, moody, foggy, kind of depressing and atmospheric kind of look. You know, the works. Here are some early example previews:




     Toxic Turtle will go for this aesthetic to show that Samer Hills can pull off this moody look. However, this is an example of just one game. Not all Samer Hills games will be foggy, depressing Silent Hill wannabe-looking games. Here are some examples of completely different aesthetic blends that give off completely different tones and moods:





      No two Samer Hills games will be the same and I hope to create a wide range of different experiences with each new release. By taking my "3DSSS" and mixing things up, a lot of different graphical styles can be achieved and the possibilities are endless. I can't wait to share more and really get the ball rolling with Samer Hills.


     You may disagree but personally, I think it's safe to say that I really got graphics, the lighting, the atmosphere, and the style down. With all that said and done, none of this matters because, in the end, the gameplay is king.

     Now, for the really important question. Can I design games that are actually fun and entertaining to play? That's up for you to decide. Thanks for reading and more updates coming soon.