Tuesday, March 14, 2017

What have I been working on? March Update



     Hello everyone, as usual it has been weeks since my last blog post and a new post is long overdue so here is a quick update of what I have been up to lately. Quick short answer, all I have been doing is just creating. Constantly creating. Juggling different projects and making weird stuff. Not necessarily games. But anything from some pointless YouTube videos to 3d art to unity engine related work. I'm never really working on just one thing. Although I don't update daily here on the blog, I frequently share what I am doing on my twitter and pretty much all the stuff I am going to show here is stuff I already shared on twitter over the past couple days. 




News on the next Steam Game?
     Just a quick recap - the last "big" thing I was working on and talking about was my next game project "Samer Hills" which is still up over for voting on Steam GreenLight (That's right, as of this post Valve's GreenLight program is still up for all you indie developers out there who want to try your luck and submit your game for voting if Direct isn't really your thing) 

     Kind of getting off topic. I will talk more about GreenLight/Direct down the road and post updates sharing my thoughts once Valve shares some more information. As for my current GreenLight game, "Samer Hills" currently still has not been greenlit and it's kind of just sitting there at the moment. Anything is still possible and I do believe that there is still time for games to pass GreenLight so don't get discouraged if you are interested. Anyway, I will definitely share updates if game doesn't pass in time and the GreenLight system is replaced with Valve's new Direct program. 

Taking break.
     After creating an initial build of some of the early gameplay for "Samer Hills", creating the demo trailer, and posting the GreenLight campaign, I took a break away from that project. I'v been working on that for months now and i'm sure this is a common trait between all indie devs, but you just get tired and bored of constantly working on the same project everyday. Sometimes you just lose motivation or want to do something else. This is what happened to me. My problem is that I always tend to want to make development complicated. I have this vision for a game project but then I end up wanting to create a larger world with different characters and multiple unique environments etc. Very similar to how I developed "Potato Thriller" which surprisingly had a little over 90 unity scenes and although not everyone liked that game, I spent so much time and put in a lot of effort into creating it. I always appreciate the feedback I am given for my work but sometimes I hear the word "team" thrown around and although I have said this before, I just want to remind people that I am just one guy. I don't have a team or a studio or anything. Just one solo developer with a passion for creating games and sometimes missing the point that projects don't need to be over complicated. 

  Anyway, I am starting to just rant at this point and get off track. But I'm just taking a short break away from "Samer Hills" so that I could focus on some other smaller sized projects which I will get into more detail in future posts. I'm not saying that I am canceling "Samer Hills" so don't get the wrong idea. I will eventually go back to it, finish it and release as I already put in so much work and created most of the assets for the game. I'll keep the blog updated. 

What new projects are coming?
     At the moment, I am planning on working on a smaller scale game. Something I can release in a shorter development period than one of my larger game projects such as "Samer Hills". I will share more info in the future, but I might definitely have a new game out before I go back to working on "Samer Hills". Other projects I have been working on are just some misc 3d work and videos. I plan on bringing new content to my YouTube channel such as tutorials for 3d modeling and using the unity game engine, etc. Maybe some short animations. I also want to start doing some more development vlogs and hopefully have a new "Making Of" coming soon of a new character model I have been working on. 

That's about it for now. I will be sharing more in upcoming posts. In the meantime here is some screenshots of my most recent work. Some weird, some bad and some is just random. More to come!