Saturday, October 13, 2012

Almond-Hill will be a Horror game (news and more info)



Hello again everyone. In my last blog post I mentioned that I was working on a new small game project called "Almond-Hill". I didn't really have much to say about it at the time but now I have done a lot more work on the game and have some information.

The game is not much of a puzzle game anymore. At first that is what I was trying to go for but as I put it together I started experimenting with different things. So I decided that this will be a mini horror game and with Halloween right around the corner why not make a horror game? I myself am a fan of horror games and always enjoyed seeing how different developers set up the atmosphere and mood in those types of games. Hopefully with some experience playing horror games I can create a decent horror game of my own. This project is somewhat inspired off of the game "Silent Hill : Shattered Memories". I would have to say that its coming together pretty well for my first attempt at a horror game. The majority of the game is complete, there is still a couple of other things I need to implement but hopefully it will be finished pretty early.

Anyway here are some screen shots!







Story: The game has a very simple story line, because as mentioned before, it is a small game project and won't take much time at all to complete. The story is about a cat named "Almond" that gets stuck in a tree. You play as Felix (the owner of Almond the cat) and explore the tiny town of Almond-Hill to find a way to rescue your cat from the tree.

Game features:
  For this game I tried adding a couple of cool features. For example you can play the game entirely in third person mode or first person mode (which ever one you prefer). Also I added this other feature and it is a messaging system. This one is very important to the game because it allows the game to communicate with the player. You can see in the screenshots above the black box where it says messages. This device acts somewhat like a in game phone that receives various text messages. Its nothing to fancy but just something to try out and maybe further improve in future game projects.
Thats all for now, I look forward to releasing this one soon. :)