Thursday, December 20, 2012

Back! whats new? Android development with Unity


Hello everyone.
It has been a long time since my last blog post but finally I have been able to find the time to do my own thing every once in a while again. I haven't been up to much recently but I do have a lot of plans for some future game projects I want to work on. Lets leave that for a different post for now.



Anyway, what I have been playing around with for the past couple days is unity-android. A while ago Unity had some special thing going on and they where giving out the standard android publishing add-on for free for about a week. So I was lucky enough to get the add-on and just recently started looking through the documentation for unity android and so on.

I decided to start testing it out and made a couple of things/ got things working. I put a video together demonstrating what I have done so far. Nothing special just some simple stuff. Im still going over how to do some things in android. For example writing a move script for a character in a game is different than making one for a computer game since the android device uses touch screen controls instead of keyboard input.




I might put up the apk files that I showed in the video here on the blog sometime but really they are just useless apps that don't do anything fancy. (But than again, it seems like "useless apps" are the more popular ones. :)

Anyway, thats about all I have for now. In the future when I get a little more skilled at this android stuff maybe I will come up with something cool. Make some games, maybe even port some of my older ones to android. Who knows. I'm thinking of even creating two versions of every game I make from this point on, a PC version and an android version. But for now lets not get carried away.